Diwali in every Maharashtrian household is incomplete without preparing Rawa Ladoo, I wanted to learn the trick of making rawa ladoo but I was not sure if I would be able to make the sugar syrup right. Of course my aai helped me with making the ladoo's & they turned out wonderful and just perfect!
- 2 cups semolina (rawa)
- 1 cup ghee
- 1½ cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup grated coconut
- powder made from 10 cardamoms
- few raisins for garnishing on ladoo
- few strands of saffron
- Add sugar in a vessel, pour enough water (1cup will be enough) to cover the sugar. heat it on simmer & let the sugar dissolve completely. boil the syrup on medium heat. you can add the saffron strands at this stage.
- Add half the ghee to the semolina & roast on medium flame, add the remaining ghee as & when needed. After frying for about 15 mins (or when the semolina starts leaving its aroma) add the grated coconut, fry further for 2 mins. Stir in the coconut into the semolina, keep aside to cool.
- For 2 thread consistency syrup, the syrup should become sticky.
- This is a crucial stage when you have to make the 2 thread consistency syrup. Hold a drop of syrup between your thumb & your index finger, you will see a thick thread like consistency. This means the sugar syrup is ready. Turn off the gas.
- After you get the two thread consistency add the sugar syrup into the roasted semolina, along with cardamom powder & raisins, roll them into ladoo's when the mixture is little warm.
- If the sugar syrup becomes too thick the ladoo's will become hard. be careful while you make the sugar syrup.
- Roast the semolina on medium heat, don't over fry the semolina, when the semolina emits a beautiful aroma, immediately switch off the gas.