Dry fruit modaks is a rich, nutritious & a healthier option of making prasad or neivedya for Ganpati Bappa. This recipe has sweetness from dates & figs in the natural form so there is no need to add sugar.
- ¾ cup dates (seeds removed)
- 6 figs very finely chopped
- ¼ cup almonds
- ¼ cup pistachio
- 2 tsp cashew-nuts
- a pinch of cardamom powder
- 1 tsp poppy seeds (slightly roasted)
- 4 tbsp clarified butter (ghee)
- In a pan dry roast the almonds pistachios & cashew-nuts. make them into a fine powder after they are cool.
- roughly chop the dates and add them along with the finely chopped figs into a pan with ghee. On a low flame, fry them continuously for about 8-10 minutes until it turns thick.Switch off the flame & let the date-fig mixture cool down. Grind the mixture into a smooth paste when it cools. Add the dry fruit powder, poppy seeds & cardamom powder to the date & ghee mixture.
- Add this into the pan & fry it for 3-4 minutes until all the dry fruits incorporate into a thick ball.
- You will have to work on making the modaks when the dry fruit mixture is warm. Add enough of the dry fruits mixture into the modak mould & prepare the modaks. The above quantity will make 8 modaks of the size 2 inch.
Recipe for Ukadiche Modak