In our recent India trip M got hooked onto Chikoo Ice cream from the popular ice-cream parlor near our house. I got 8-10 scoops of ice cream packed in small containers n kept them in the deep freezer, he was thoroughly enjoying them each night. After we came back from our short trip back home, M was missing the Chikoo Ice cream the most, I promised him I'll try my hands at making it at home.This is very simple recipe adapted from the mango ice cream Aai used to make, but the only difference is I added cooking cream and there's no need to boil the milk in this recipe. Enjoy the Chikoo Ice-Cream.
- 1 dozen Chikoos
- 250 gms Cooking Cream (little more than ½ cup)
- 1½ cups full fat milk
- ½ cup Milk powder
- 1 cup sugar
- Peel the chikoos, deseed and make blend the fruit to make a smooth pulp, keep aside.
- Take a big steel vessel, add the cooking cream, milk powder, sugar & milk, using a whisk mix together to remove lumps if any formed by the milk powder.
- Add the chikoo pulp and using a blender, whisk it for 1 minute untill all the ingredients are incorporated. Taste the chikoo milk if needed add more sugar.
- Transfer the chikoo milk to an air tight container (I used the Tupperware Ice cream box), Let the ice cream set for 2 hrs, remove it again and churn it for 2-3 minutes, transfer it to the air tight box again.
- This procedure is done to avoid crystallization of the ice cream. Refreeze the ice-cream for 12-15hrs. Remember the freezer should be at maximum temperature & the ice-cream is made in air tight box.
Chikoo Ice Cream recipe in Archana's Kitchen
- When you blend the ice-cream, it should be of the same consistence of that of a softy.
- If the ice-cream is not similar to softy, please leave it in the freezer until it reaches the correct consistence.
- If the ice-cream is too hard, leave it outside to melt for a while.
Recipe for Mango Ice cream