Oats is labelled as one of the most healthiest foods these days. Now a days, a lot of people include oats in their diet. Ragi (Finger millet) is a great source of protein, calcium & iron. The combination of Oats & Ragi is packed with high level of dietary fiber that aids in proper digestion & prevents constipation. When the healthy desert completion was announced I was quite sure I had to produce some recipe keeping in mind the health benefits of these two ingredients.
I would like to share my recipe @ the Healthy Dessert Competition which got a consolation prize. Competition was held by Art of Living, Oman chapter
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup ragi flour
- 3 tbsp semolina
- 6 tbsp jaggery (or as needed)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp clarified butter + some more for greasing the pan
- pinch of salt
- skimmed milk as needed
- few drops of vanilla essence
- Honey & Fresh strawberries for serving
- Dry roast the oats for 2 minutes in a pan & make powder. Keep aside for further use.
- Dry roast the ragi powder & semolina separately for 2 minutes (don't over roast the semolina)
- Mix the ragi,
oats, semolina. jaggery, salt, clarified butter, vanilla essence &
skimmed milk and keep aside for 15 minutes. Taste the batter if you need
some more jaggery add as required.
- The consistency should be free flowing (similar to dosa batter)
- Before making the pan cakes add the baking soda & mix the batter properly
- Heat the griddle, grease it with clarified butter, add a spoonful of batter & prepare the pancakes on medium flame.
- Cover the pancake
- You will see some bubbles forming on the pancakes, flip the pancake after 5 minutes. Cook until done.
- Serve immediately with honey & fresh strawberries.
The above recipe will yield 12 pancakes.